Updates by Email

Did you know you can receive my weekly updates right in your inbox? To receive my updates via email, enter your email address here:

Powered by Feed My Inbox

Transfer 12 Week 3

Dear Everyone,

    Merry Christmas! Wow, it is so hard to believe that it is this time of year again. It seems like it was Christmas just a few months ago. Craziness. Well, this week has been quite an interesting one full of crazy random happenstances. It all started when I locked my keys in my car and I quickly found out how fun it is to try to break into my car. That did not work out at all and I ended up having to call my aunt and uncle with the missionaries' cellphone since I had forgot mine at home. We were able to finally make it to the Issa's and had a wonderful dinner there and helped decorate their tree before having a wonderful discussion on missionary week and what they could do personally and as a family to assist in the work. They are such a great help.

    On Tuesday we had a wonderful Christmas Zone Conference in Knightdale and we were instructed and edified quite beautifully in how we could best go about our purpose in bringing souls unto Christ. We then took a break for lunch and reconvened afterward. Elders Stanfield and Eteaki sang a gorgeous rendition of "I Need Thee Every Hour" beginning in English and then switching to Tongan on the second verse. We had a bit more instruction and then began the Christmas Program where the different zones had pieces that they had put together in the past transfer. They performed and it was quite a scene to behold. What touched me the most though, was the slide show which started with a painting of the Christ child and progressed through paintings representing his childhood, early manhood, ministry, atonement, death and ending with His resurrection. Wow, that was something to remember. President got up and commented on the reverence we all demonstrated while watching it and wondered if any of us had thought to ourselves "that is who I represent in this work." It was definitely a humbling experience. That night I was able to enjoy the spirit of the Temple and fulfill my assignment there.

    On Wednesday morning I attended the Temple and then went to volunteer at the Thrift Store. There was a lot of organizing and cleaning to do. I then returned home and indexed a bit.

    Thursday I had study over at the Spanish Missionaries' apartment and had fun driving through the snow to get there. I then went to the Thrift Store and then back out with the missionaries.

    Friday morning we had interviews with the mission president and there I learned from the Garner Spanish Elders that they are teaching a young man who came to a knowledge of the existence of the Book of Mormon through Assassin's Creed 2. Truly the Lord works in mysterious ways, using even the tools of the adversary to further His work. XD I am so grateful to be going out in the field next week! I am going to make it the best area I have ever been to! I then went home and had a study before I went to the Thrift Store. I was able to give the manager of the store a copy of the Book of Mormon in Spanish with my testimony in it. I was even able to explain a bit and bear my testimony. :D I was so full of joy as I skipped out of the store.

    Saturday was a really crazy day. I went to the thrift store after study and ended up cutting my finger on some glass in a trash bag I was carrying out to the dumpster. One trip to urgent care later, I was all patched up. The Branch Christmas party was a blast and I was even able to take a swing at a pinata. I ended up taking one of the legs off.
   
    Sunday was a very interesting day. After church and study I went with the Spanish Elders to a couple of appointments. We had a wonderful lesson with the daughters of a recent convert. One of the daughters actually received her answer about the Book of Mormon right in front of us and it was a very sweet experience. We also had a not so good experience, but through the power of prayer and the priesthood we were able to pull through. We ended up having quite an amazing dinner with the Benditez family and then went home.

    I am so grateful for my opportunity to be a missionary. I have been able to grow in ways that I never would have otherwise and have had such amazing experiences. I have a stronger testimony of the reality of the Savior and of His atonement. I know that Jesus is the Christ, the savior of the world. I know that God is our Father. We are His Children. I know that Joseph Smith was a Prophet of God and that through Him Christ restored His Church upon the Earth. I know that God the Father and Jesus Christ, His Son, appeared to the boy Joseph in a now sacred grove. I have a testimony of priesthood power and of the power of sincere and fervent prayer. The Book of Mormon is true. The Church is true. We have living Apostles and Prophets on the earth today. Through the Gospel we can know who we are, our purpose here on the earth and where we are going. Truths lost for centuries have been restored. This is a great time to rejoice. We have been richly blessed. Of this I testify in the sacred name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

With love,

Elder Roberts