Updates by Email

Did you know you can receive my weekly updates right in your inbox? To receive my updates via email, enter your email address here:

Powered by Feed My Inbox

Transfer 8 Week 5

Hello Everyone!

    I have been transferred to the Knightdale area and it has been amazing so far. My new companion is Elder Dunn from Pleasant Grove, Utah and I have enjoyed having him as a missionary companion. We have been biking this week and the bike I have been using had a off-center back wheel by the end of the week. Well, Elder Gann kindly fixed that and I now have a kickstand and wheel that work like they should. We have encountered much opposition to the work, as missionaries generally do, from apathy to downright hatred. I know that there is a lot of misinformation and "anti" out there, but our calling is not to be apologetic or to explain every deep doctrine or misconstrued quote. We simply ask that people exercise faith and ask God. Just ask God. Not the internet, not your preacher, not your neighbor, or any other well meaning and enlightened person or system. *sigh* It is so simple, yet it takes humility and faith. I am so grateful to have a companion who amidst turmoil and opposition stands strong and bears a simple and sincere testimony of love and of the truth. I can see the love he has for the people in this area and how he puts his all into it, to teaching and testifying of that which he knows to be true. I know that the Gospel of Jesus Christ has been restored. I know that there is a Prophet on the earth, I know that we have the priesthood or the authority to act in the name of God for the salvation of His children. These things I have learned by the power of the Holy Ghost with a witness that will never dim. I  have felt it as I have borne testimony of the divinity of Jesus Christ and of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon. I know that the Book of Mormon has changed my life; I know that it can change the lives of those around me and all over the world. I cannot give that knowledge to another. I cannot  force someone to accept the witness of the Holy Ghost. I can only promise blessings, bear my own testimony, invite them to ask in faith and wait for them to choose.
    Life as a missionary is a lot different that I could have ever imagined. I went in with high hopes of preaching the Gospel and watching peoples lives change, which I have been able to witness. However, to watch people who have tasted of the blessings, who have had a witness, who know that which they need to do, walk away because of fear or social pressure, is sad. It pains us every time a door is shut and we fight to not allow ourselves to become numb to rejection. Yet, we press on, as our exemplar and day star always did. Amidst toil, rejection, persecution and ultimately execution, Jesus Christ never ceased to "be about [His] father's business." As His representatives, we cannot give up or give in. We must "keep our rudders true" as we brave the storms of life and of this small part of our mortal mission. "Until the end shall come, and all the saints dwell with God."

    I know that Jesus is the Son of God, the only begotten in the flesh. I know that Thomas S. Monson is God's Prophet on the earth today. I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God and that, alongside the Bible, testifies of Christ's divinity. These things I know and testify of the truthfulness thereof in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

With love,

Elder Roberts