Updates by Email

Did you know you can receive my weekly updates right in your inbox? To receive my updates via email, enter your email address here:

Powered by Feed My Inbox

Transfer 10 Week 6

Dear Everyone,

    It is crazy to think that the transfer has drawn to a close. I have learned so many things this transfer and my testimony is stronger than it has ever been. I have a greater appreciation for the Gospel and for that opportunity I have to aid the spread of that Gospel through service. This week I performed my usual duties wherein I serve at the Meals on Wheels foundation and at the Thrift Store. However, on Saturday it was a bit different since I went in a few hours early and ran a book sale outside until 5pm. It was the first time I had ever run a book sale and especially one that lasted about 8 hours. It was pretty interesting though because a wide variety of people were interested and I was able to speak to a few of them. In the earlier hours people came by with scanner hardware on their PDAs to try to see if there were any books of use for their online stores. Apparently after paying ~$500 for the scanner and some undisclosed price for the service you can make it back in the first week. So, these book hunters go from store to store and I had never seen them until today. Well, now I know. One of the ladies at the thrift store taught me how to make a different style of rice and after two tries it turned out exactly as she wanted it to be. You take a clove of garlic and mince it. Add some oil to the bottom of a pot and fry the garlic. Then add 1.5 cups of water per cup of rice you intend to make. Bring the water to a boil and then add about 1/3-1/2 tbs of salt or until the water is a little too salty (not like sea water though.) Once you have the water boiling add the amount of rice you want. Before adding the rice rinse it in a coriander for about a minute to get most of the starch off. Leave the pot off and leave the water at boiling until the rice and the water are at the same level. When the rice and water are at the same level put the lid on and turn the heat down and simmer it for 17 minutes. After 17 minutes the rice is ready to be served.

    On Wednesday I attended District Meeting and we discussed "Revelation Through the Book of Mormon." We especially focused on presenting the Book of Mormon in lessons and how we could improve. Well, after much discussion we broke out into role-plays and I was able to role-play as if I were presenting it to the guy I had met at the Thrift Store. The Spirit was very strong and I look very forward to implementing it in real life. Well, that Sunday he came to church and we had a marvelous experience listening to the Primary children bear their testimonies of Christ and of His Gospel and church. It was a very inspirational presentation and he enjoyed it a lot. We were able to take a walk around the Temple and discuss a few things after he had met with his friend who attends that ward and also after being introduced to the sister missionaries. We had dinner later that night and I was blessed to be able to share my testimony of the Book of Mormon and share principles and doctrines of the Restoration. He handled the book with great care and was awestruck that he had never heard of more scripture. I invited him to read and as James directs: "ask of God." He readily agreed and after a prayer I departed. That night was an important step for me in helping me realize, in greater measure, the blessing it is to have the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. I was in tears on the way home just thinking of how much I have to be thankful for because of the testimony that I have of the Book of Mormon, modern day revelation, Prophets and Apostles and of Christ's divinity. The simple truths are so very powerful, yet so easily understood by the humble and pure in heart. I had the opportunity to read the entire Book of Mormon this transfer and those truths were cemented more firmly within my heart. "No evil man could write such a book and no good man would write it, unless he were directed by God to do so..."

    Joseph Smith was a Prophet of God, he translated the Book of Mormon by the power of God. The Book of Mormon is a record of God's dealings with His children, testifies of Jesus Christ and contains the fullness of the Gospel. I know that sincere seekers of truth can come closer to Jesus Christ and to Heavenly Father as they read, ponder upon, pray about and live the precepts taught therein. I know that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is Christ's church on the Earth again and that we have a Prophet on the earth today, even Thomas S. Monson. I am very grateful for my testimony of these truths and leave them with you in the name of Him who makes all possible, even Jesus Christ, Amen.

With love,

Elder Roberts