Updates by Email

Did you know you can receive my weekly updates right in your inbox? To receive my updates via email, enter your email address here:

Powered by Feed My Inbox

Transfer 3 Week 6

Dear Everyone,

    It is the last week of this transfer and the last week of this year! So much has happened this year! I've been out for almost 4 months and what an experience it has been. I've served in 4 areas besides Cary including: Rocky Mount, Henderson, Raleigh (Spanish) and Goldsboro. I do a wide variety of service including temple work, volunteer work, proselyting, and family history work. I have learned so much in the areas I have been in and have met some pretty amazing families. I am happy to be back in Cary again and look forward to many wonderful experiences.

    I was studying the book of Mosiah in the Book of Mormon this week in chapters one and two. In chapter one it states the significant difference between the Nephites and Lamanites and states the importance that scriptures have had in preserving the Nephites' civility. It is interesting to note that the industry and society of the Nephites spring out from their desire to know and follow the things of God. In chapter two I noticed the gratitude present among the people of King Benjamin toward their God, including their gratitude for protection and for providing just men to teach them. This reminded me of the wonderful teachers that I've had in my life including but not limited to my parents, my quorum and institute teachers, and even my seminary teachers. Through their diligence and example I have learned so much. The next piece talks about the people preparing to listen to the discourse of King Benjamin. To start out they set up their tents and face them toward the temple. Literally this shows their willingness to listen to the words of King Benjamin, but figuratively it is a turning of their hearts or desires toward the temple or things of God. King Benjamin exhorts the people to have open ears to hear him and also an open heart to understand him. Having a heart open to understanding means a heart open to receive the promptings and revelations of the Holy Ghost, without which nothing of God can be understood. One of the obstacles to having an open heart is to have a heart set on the things of the world. Laman and Lemuel are a classic example of this. Laman and Lemuel had their hearts set on the precious things they had to leave in Jerusalem. Because of this their hearts were thus hardened to the things of God and even after appearances of heavenly beings they remained in spiritual darkness. It was interesting to me.

    Christmas in the field was an interesting one. My companion and I ended up over at the District Leader's apartment and we started a game of Monopoly. Elder Richards and Elder Harmon were the banker and realtor respectively. We also played by the rule that you had to pass go to begin purchasing properties. Well, everyone except me ended up in jail before they passed go and Elder Harmon ended up there 3 times before he finally made it through.. That's okay though, Elder Richards and Elder Harmon were embezzling money and properties the entire time anyways... XD It was quite an experience. We woke up on Christmas day and went to IHOP with one of the members of the ward. Elder Richards and I ended up staying at the apartment most of the day due to our lack of appointments and the fact that people do not want us tracting into them.... I returned to Cary on Saturday and was glad to see Elder Rees and Chupin again. :)

All in all it was quite a week...

With Love,

Elder Roberts