Updates by Email

Did you know you can receive my weekly updates right in your inbox? To receive my updates via email, enter your email address here:

Powered by Feed My Inbox

Transfer 3 Week 2

 Ello ello,
 
    This week has been an incredible one; we've had a baptism, a few new investigators and heard a recently converted family give talks in sacrament meeting. Again I've found myself learning that the most discouraging events will occur right as miracles are around the corner. I found myself writing a poem today, which I haven't really done in awhile, but within that piece of literature I wrote that all seasons change, meaning that seasons of sorrow will change to seasons of joy and vice-versa. In this life we have trials, disappointments, heartaches, betrayals, missed expectations, but as we patiently endure and courageously press forward with faith we will make it through the clouds of despair and into the bright dawn of realized dreams.
    To those worn down by constant affliction: be of good cheer, these trials will surely come to pass by, if not in this life, then the next. To those who have lost a loved one: find peace in the truth that death is but a beginning, not an end. The beginning of new life and of rest from worldly sorrows and cares. To those who have gone astray:  know that the Atonement is real and that you can repent and again find peace. To those who have sheep that wander: continue to love them, be patient with them and look for opportunities to serve them.
    We did a lot this week, I got to know my companion better, we helped burn a lot of underbrush and stuff at Eagle's nest, including an organ (Matthew would probably have a heart attack hearing about that), got to know ward members better, had a great district meeting, had a powerful first lesson at the Melton's, had a wonderful Thanksgiving and ate way too much food XD, gained a greater appreciation for my blessings, Helped a Sister in the ward move, biked and tracted (knocked on doors) a lot, had another incredible lesson and gained two new investigators, and had one of the most amazing Sundays I've had so far. I Love Sundays!
    I will now touch on some of these events in detail:
First off we went over to the Melton's to teach them the first lesson. As I bore testimony of and shared the First Vision I felt the Spirit bear strong witness to the truthfulness thereof, which strengthened my own testimony and the testimony of my companion. For Thanksgiving we played a nice game of "touch" football, wherein people ended up with fat lips and in much pain for the rest of the week.. go figure... My companion and I had Thanksgiving lunch and dinner at two different homes, so we definitely got enough to eat. On Saturday we tracted into David and Doris and they invited us in, which never really happens.. most of the time it's either "we're not interested," "go away," or "I'm saved, I don't need to know anything else about Jesus..." Thankfully though they not only invited us in, but gave us a chance to actually say wat we needed to say. They were genuinely interested and it was amazing to watch the Holy Spirit work a change in them as we stated pure doctrine in response to their questions. It is indeed true that "True doctrine understood changes behavior quicker than the study of behavior changes behavior." I have see this in my own life when I have been confronted with behaviors or attitudes I have had that have been in need of a change. As I have studied the doctrines of Christ I have not only gained motivation to change, but that motivation has come from an inward desire to do so instead of an external source. This is important because you may not always have that external source of motivation, but you always have yourself.
    That brings me to Sunday, my favorite day in my mission (for most missionaries it's Monday...), It started out with baptismal preparations including, cleaning the font, making sure that the people who needed to play piano and whatnot.. We then went to Sacrament meeting and got to hear from the Hartzells. They are the recently converted family I mentioned earlier. We then had a Gospel Priniclples class on family responsibilities and a combined Priesthood and Relief Society on ward mission work and how we can all be missionaries! That is something I am definitely looking forward to in life, being a missionary my entire life and not just for my two year mission. I hold to David O' McKay who stated "Every member a missionary!" We then prepared everything else for the baptism and at 6:15 PM Kathy was baptised. :) Elder Richards and I were able to share the message of the restored gospel with those who attended the baptism and bore strong testimony of the First Vision and the restoration of the priesthood authority.
    We ended that night with a Stake Priesthood meeting which touched on the importance of teaching pure doctrine and getting your home teaching done. My favorite part was the fact that my first companion Elder Anderson was there and that he let me know that some people we had worked with had been baptised and later confirmed just recently :D I was so happy to hear that. Uncle Charlie is going to be an amazing member :).... A shout out to him and Tiffany :) Congratulations! I know that this is just the first step of many on the straight and narrow path to lasting peace and happiness. I also heard from him that there were going to be a few more baptisms in the future... :) It's always great to hear about progress in areas I used to work.
 
    Well, I hope you all have a wonderful week!
 
Love,
 
Elder Roberts
 
P.S. To comment or communicate with me my email address is tenchi30401@gmail.com
 
P.P.S. for my physical address communicate with Brother and Sister Everett.