Updates by Email

Did you know you can receive my weekly updates right in your inbox? To receive my updates via email, enter your email address here:

Powered by Feed My Inbox

Transfer 13 Week 5

Dear Everyone,
    It is hard to believe that it is now the last week of the transfer. This past week has been really long and at the same time seemed to pass by with unmatched speed. This past Tuesday we had a wonderful training meeting and afterward I went to South Boston, Va on an exchange. When I walked into the home that the missionaries stay in I was shocked at how neat and orderly it was. My shock was lessened when I was informed that my temporary companion was a marine. I have to say that the Spirit trully is stronger in a cleaner apartment, not that ours is not clean, it just was not military clean. After I unpacked my bags Elder Farrer and I went out and did some spirit contacting, which is something I have never done before. We did not talk the entire time and just listened and felt for the Spirit as we walked around. I distinctly remember when I was walking and it was pretty cold. I was changing my hands from having one in the pocket and the other holding a copy of the Book of Mormon and then switching hands. I remember as we walked past a house how I stopped being cold. It was the strangest sensation, but there it was. I kept walking until I realized it might be a good idea to walk back. My companion had felt something similar and had been waiting for me to say something. Well, we knocked and noone answered, but now I had an idea of how it worked. Thankfully the next house we knocked opened up and Laqueshia was open and willing to read from and pray about the Book of Mormon. We continued our walking after a prayer of gratitude and while walking past a house my companion noticed that I was focused on it and what I did not know then, but soon found out, was that it was the house of an investigator. We were able to meet with him and he committed to stop drinking and smoking and gave us all his cigarettes right there and we were able to throw them away on the way home. The next morning we were driven to a bed and breakfast place and spent about three hours raking leaves. Afterward we went back to Henderson and I switched back to being with my companion Elder Kopp.
    We went to try to see Tameka and Brenton, but Tameka and the children were sick. :(  So, we tried to stop by a few people, but did not have much luck. Our meeting that night cancelled on us, as did our exchange, but we were able to have a lesson with Keith. The next day we had a great dinner with the Jester family and Salvador and Lopez. We watched "Together Forever" and I could not help from laughing at how 90's the whole thing was. Thankfully my laughter was not loud enough to disrupt the sweet spirit that accompanied it. There were even a few parts I got misty eyed at.
    On Friday we were able to continue daily contact with Brenton and Tameka and that morning we were able to have a really good lesson with the Newton family. Afterward we gave them a tour of the church and explained the different paintings on the wall. The part that touched me the most was being able to testify of the temple and the truth that we could be with our families forever. That night Sister Moon took us grocery shopping and dispite our shyness in picking anything out, she was able to take us down every aisle and fill up our cart. We are still pondering how we could ever thank her. After a lovely dinner we were able to visit Sister Hicks and check on how her surgery had gone. We watched "Mountain of the Lord" and the spirit was there. The next morning we were able to finally see our profiles on Mormon.org and they looked great. After lunch we went and visited the Campbell family and were able to get to know them better. That night we met with the Sullyans and were able to follow up with them on how their prayers were going. We were then able to have another lesson with Keith.
    Sunday was a very special day. We had one of the councilers from the Stake Presidency and a member of one of the surrounding wards speak and the spirit was very strong. It seemed as though the talks were meant for me. That night we dropped by a goodly number of people and were able to find out where a couple of people had been.
    Wow, it is so hard to believe that this week will be my last week in the field as a full time teaching missionary. I have loved being able to serve the Lord in this capacity and have learned so much from the Elders I have served with. I know that this is Christ's church and that the fulness of His Gospel is found therein. I know that the Book of Mormon is true, it is a testimony of Christ and is evidence that Joseph Smith was a Prophet of God. I know that we have a Prophet on the earth today, even Thomas S Monson. I know that Jesus is my personal Savior and the Redeemer of the whole earth. Of these things I bear my testimony, in the sacred name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
With Love,
Elder Roberts