Updates by Email

Did you know you can receive my weekly updates right in your inbox? To receive my updates via email, enter your email address here:

Powered by Feed My Inbox

Transfer 7 Week 4

Dear Everyone,
    This last week has been a week of miracles. My companion and I are fairly new to the area and we ended up lost. Well, we ended up visiting with a member nearby and received some referrals for his neighbors. Well, the next day we me with one, the Ortiz family, and were able to teach a first discussion. I was able to use some of the Spanish I have learned to translate for the mother since she was not as proficient with English. We will be able to teach them again this Friday. We tried to stop by the other referral, but everything fell so that we were not able to do so. Finally, we were able to meet and teach the Olivarez family and that went extremely well. We found out that Brother Olivarez is only available on Mondays and then it clicked that we would not have been able to teach them if we had contacted them on any other day. That was a pretty neat experience.
    Last Wednesday the Ward Mission Leader, Brother Bragg, informed us that we had talks to give the following Sunday. So, we prepared and gave those and they went pretty well. I gave a talk on using Preach My Gospel in various ways. One way is to teach the doctrines of the Gospel of Jesus Christ to those of baptismal age, so that they understand the teachings of the church before they become members. That way they can also seek out and gain their own testimony beforehand. One may also use it to prepare priests to become full-time missionaries. They can study it and learn the lessons and practice teaching before they are called out into the field. Another use is to equipped members with the doctrines of the church so that they are able to be effective member missionaries and to focus them on the work. One of the doctrines I highlighted in my talk was that we are all children of a loving Heavenly Father. Since we have this knowledge our attitudes and behaviors to our fellowmen should be drastically different. Having this knowledge and understanding the basic doctrines as taught in Preach My Gospel helps members to overcome the three main problems that I have seen in memeber missionary work: lack of interest, lack of confidence and lack of focus.  My companion talked about how members have played key roles in the conversion of part-member families and in the baptisms of non-members who needed a little extra support. I have a testimony of member work, I know that we, as missionaries are called to teach and have all the tools available to make us effective teachers. I know that members are the best at finding those who would be the most receptive and best benefited by our message. I know that as we work in harmony with one another and in harmony with the standards of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, we will have the Spirit with us in this great work and we will see miracles.
    I know that we are engaged in the work of the Lord, we are preparing and establishing the Kingdom of God on the earth. I know that Joseph Smith was a Prophet of God, I know that Thomas S. Monson is a Prophet of God and is His mouthpiece on the earth today. I know that we have twelve Apostles and that God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ lead and guide this church, just as it was lead in ancient times. I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God and is a testament of the divinity of Christ and evidence that we do indeed have a Prophet on the earth once more. I know that if anyone reads this book and asks "God the Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true, and if [they] will ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, He will manifest the truth of it unto [them] by the power of the Holy Ghost." I know that if you "ask in faith" and show your desire to receive an answer you will receive one. I have received an answer myself, I know these things are true, without a doubt in my heart or mind I know. That is the power of the Holy Ghost. That is the effect an answer from God has, stronger than angels or visions, it is pure truth being witnessed to the very core of your spirit. Of these things I bear witness, in the name of He whom the prophets testified shall come into the world, who has and will come again, even Jesus Christ, the savior of us all. Amen.
With Love,
Elder Roberts